Wednesday, January 7, 2015

New Year, New Packaging

Happy New Year!  2014 saw the beginning of my business, Emily's Handmade Soaps, and I'm looking forward to exciting developments in 2015.  So far this year I've been working on finding more retail venues for wholesaling my soaps, new packaging, and of course, making soap.  With my kids out of school for two weeks over the holidays, I feel like I really got behind with soap production!  It's a good thing that Santa brought me a giant new wooden mold and custom cutter so that I can streamline my processes a bit.  Any soap makers out there looking for an amazing, custom made soap cutter should look no further than Bud Haffner.  His work is the definition of craftsmanship and quality!

With my gorgeous new mold came a little bit of a problem. It makes soap that is slightly more square than rectangular.  It makes for a very cool design element, but I found that my soap would no longer fit into the kraft boxes that I had been using!  Dilemmas, dilemmas.

My old packaging.  These little boxes were so handy!
In the spirit of the New Year (and with some helpful packaging suggestions from friends), I decided out with the old, in with the new!  While I loved the little kraft boxes because of their ease of use and recyclable-ness (recyclability? I think I just made up a new word), I ultimately decided to shift to a more elegant look with the organza bags.  They're not recyclable, but they are incredibly reusable for so many things (and they smell absolutely enchanting after storing soap in them)!


In the process, I redesigned my tags and logo, too!  I hope that this new design will make the packaging process a little bit less cumbersome.  I love making soap, and weirdly, I love the business end of things, too (yes, even tax filing, ESPECIALLY tax filing!).  My least favorite part of my business is the graphic design element.  I think I've spent more than a few hours monkeying around with fonts, labels, graphics, and pictures over the past few months.  Not my strong suit!  My hope is that this new design is simple and elegant enough to be a keeper.

So, although it's not real bubbly, here's a picture of my new Pink Champagne soap as a big Cheers! to 2015.

Pink Champagne soap.  Cheers to 2015!