Sunday, March 15, 2015

On Scent and Memory

"Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived. The odors of fruits waft me to my southern hoe, to my childhood frolics in the peach orchard. Other odors, instantaneous and fleeting, cause my heart to dilate joyously or contract with remembered grief. Even as I think of smells, my nose is full of scents that start awake sweet memories of summers gone and ripening fields far away."  
- Helen Keller

Because of the way our bodies are wired, our sense of smell is intimately connected with our memories and emotions.  Since we encounter most new smells when we're young, certain scents can take us back in time to memories that you associate with that fragrance.  For example, smelling roses always reminds me of my grandmother's gorgeous patio garden.  She had quite a green thumb, and I can almost smell her Hawaiian Sunset roses by just thinking about them.

Lots of citrus soaps on my drying rack right now!

Now that spring is almost here, I'm finding that I want to switch up the soaps I'm using in our house to brighter scents, sunnier scents.  I'm so into citrus these days!  It reminds me of sitting on my deck with a cold drink and a good book in the sunshine while I listen to my two adorable kiddos playing in the back yard.  I just posted a citrus-scented Energy soap to my Etsy shop, and I also have Lemongrass, Fresh Squeezed Oranges, Coconut Lime Verbena, and Cranberry, Fig & Orange soaps on my curing rack.  Next, I'm going to make a soap using only orange and pink grapefruit essential oils.  I can almost smell it now!

What smells bring back particular memories or feelings for you?