Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Big News and Mother's Day at the Ocean!

I'm so excited to announce that I'll be vending at the Des Moines Waterfront Farmer's Market this summer! I'll be there every other week this summer, beginning on Saturday, June 6 (see the full list of dates here). I can't even put into words how elated I am to be able to bring my soaps to a regular market in my own home town. Not only do I get to do what I love, I get to do it in my own back yard!

This past Mother's Day weekend was a whirlwind! We set out to Ocean Shores, Washington (about a 2 hour drive from our house near Seattle) for the 2-day Shoppin' at the Shore event late on Friday night. My family wanted to spend Mother's Day with me, so not only was I hauling soap to the shore, I was also hauling my husband and two kids! It felt so special to be "working" (I feel guilty calling it "work," since I enjoy making and selling soap so much) knowing that my family was nearby having fun at the beach. I have to give a huge shout-out to my husband, who carried all of those heavy totes filled to the brim with soap for me. My hero!


My kiddos "helping" me sell soap on Mother's Day

I feel like I learn so much about this business and the sales process with each new event that I attend. With the farmer's market coming up, I'm really focusing on tweaking my booth setup, which is always a work in progress. The farmer's market setup will be quite different, and will include a 10x10 canopy and an extra table. I've also ordered a full sized banner for the event. It's going to be so cool to have a backdrop with my company name on it!


Booth setup is always a work in progress.

The Shoppin' at the Shore event had a steady stream of customers and visitors, and the time seemed to just fly by! It's so much fun to network at these events with fellow crafters and vendors. It's funny how some soap fragrances are hot sellers in one market, but not at the next. My Cappuccino Coffee soap and Beer soap were great sellers at my last market, but sales were just lukewarm last weekend. People absolutely loved my Lavender, Lemongrass and Litsea, and Apple Rose soaps this weekend!

After a long weekend I came home, had a glass of wine, and immediately got back to work! After all of that selling, it's fun to get back to actually making the soap. I did another batch of Lemongrass (since I ran completely out this weekend). I'm also trying a new fragrance combo, Double Mint! It's made with peppermint and spearmint essential oils. My husband says that he thinks that it smells like gum (okay, maybe a little), but I think that people will really respond to the minty freshness of it. Hey, it seems to work for Dr. Bronner!


Lemongrass and Doublemint Soaps in the molds

If you like my soap pics, check me out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/emilyshandmadesoaps. I post soapy pics and anecdotes about my misadventures almost daily!