Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Customers Who Warm My Heart



It's cloudy and cold today, and I miss the warm days of summer at the Des Moines Waterfront Farmers Market with the sun shining and the breeze rolling in off the Puget Sound. With Valentine's Day coming up, it got me thinking about a couple of times that customers absolutely warmed my heart with their kind words and deeds.

One customer that stands out in my mind had purchased soap from me as a gift for her mother. Weeks after her purchase she stopped by my booth at the farmers market to tell me that her mother (who was in her 80's) had recently suffered an injury that kept her off of her feet. Her mother was regularly quite healthy and active, and being told to rest was vexing to say the least! My customer told me that her mother had placed her newly gifted soap next to her resting spot, and had told her that the scent had helped in soothing her. I felt so proud and inspired that the scent of my soap was a small comfort during this vibrant woman's recovery!

On a more romantic note, another customer that really made an impression on me was a young man, probably in his mid-teens. He was clearly a guy's guy, and came right to the point when he walked up to my booth. He told me that he wanted to buy a gift for his girlfriend because he "thought she'd be into this stuff." I pointed him toward some of my more popular scents and we chatted a little bit while he picked a soap that he thought his young love would like. I was absolutely inspired by this young man's thoughtfulness, especially at such a young age. I hope his girlfriend knows what a keeper she has!



Sometimes it's the little things in life that make all the difference, and it makes me feel really good to be a small part of bringing joy to people's lives. It's so special to me to know that the soap that I make may brighten someone's day when given as a gift, or just used for a little bit of luxury in an otherwise hectic day. That's why I always package my soaps for gift giving. Even when you buy my soaps "just" for yourself, you should still feel like you're receiving a little gift, to you, from you (and maybe a little bit from me, too).